• William Zayonce
    The. Quirin definition...witin 2 lengths in a sprint or 3 lengths in a route. Steven
  • Steven
    So we're saying a good race is:

Within 90 days
    and
    (Horse was first
    or
    Horse finished second
    or
    Horse finished third
    or
    Horse was within 2 in a sprint
    or
    Horse was within 3 in a route)

Am I right on the finished second/third?
  • Dave Schwartz
    How would you define a good race?Steven

Standard definition is from Dr. William Quirin (found in Percentages & Probabilities.)

ukskkhkkudw7yvas.png
  • William Zayonce
    Steven, you need not limit it to 90 days. Just dont go back beyond a 90 day layoff
  • Steven
    I think this should cover it.
  • Steven
    It's the last column

GR%_RANK_49
  • William Zayonce
    I think this should cover it.
    Attachment
    GPX2021_DirtSprint(11K)
    Steven
  • William Zayonce
    Steven.
    Thank-you for your kind efforts!
    But I'm unable to open your attachment on my device ( PDF only). Can you suggest an app that will work for me?
  • Steven
    Give me a bit. I’ll print it in pdf.
  • William Zayonce
    Steven.
    This is an interesting and eye opening study. Just a bit disappointed with the results.Thought there would be an edge there. Thank-you!
    Just wondering...does your software allow for isolating occasions where just one entry has a certain attribute?
  • Steven
    Most everything I do is hard coded into the software (a result of self training). I would need to know what specifically you're looking for before I could really give you an answer.

And FYI for dirt routes, turf sprint & routes.
    CATEGORIES:
    #1's
    #2's
    #3's
    TOTAL
    $WON
    $BET
    $NET
    ROI
    # WINS
    WIN%

DIRT ROUTES
    GR%_RANK_49
    $202.80
    $222.00
    -$19.20
    19.8%

TURF SPRINTS
    GR%_RANK_49
    $82.60
    $94.00
    -$11.40
    21.3%

TURF ROUTES
    GR%_RANK_49
    $58.40
    $124.00
    -$65.60
    17.7%
  • William Zayonce
    Essentially, I'm looking to test factors that apply to 1 and only 1 entrant . For example; the only 1 to reach the 5pt threshold in QES pts, or perhaps being the only 1 to have 2 wins in last 10 starts .The list is long. My idea is to find which "unique" attributes can complement each other to boost a 20% hit rate to 30+%
  • William Zayonce
    Two examples of simple "angles" that I like are these; "1 : the only entrant to win its last race ( combined with a few "complemenary " factors) ."2 : the only entrant to finish 2nd or "good" race ( again with qualifications).
  • Dave Schwartz
    Two examples of simple "angles" that I like are these; "1 : the only entrant to win its last race ( combined with a few "complemenary " factors) ."2 : the only entrant to finish 2nd or "good" race ( again with qualifications).William Zayonce

Interesting approach to spot plays.
    I have a project on my agenda for the spring which is called Subset Handicapping.

It begins with a subset of horses and asks the question "What makes ________ horses win?"

My concern about your current approach is that these angles you mention above are just not as exciting as you'd think.

I know you have tacked on some other conditions to your angle but the bottom line is that the difference between "Good Race Last = YES" and "Good Race Last = NO" is really negligible. Sure, the IV & hit rate is higher but it does almost nothing for the $net ($2 is break even) because the gains are destroyed by the huge downward tick in the average odds .

(from P&P, 2012)
    jolx9pxs3a4ylbff.png
  • William Zayonce
    Interesting approach to spot plays.
    I have a project on my agenda for the spring which is called Subset Handicapping.

It begins with a subset of horses and asks the question "What makes ________ horses win?"
    Dave Schwartz
    These are precisely the sorts of insights and stats that I'd like to see . While a "naked" angle might not be productive in isolation but shows a 20% or better win% , results might improve with the addition of "complementary" factors.
  • Steven
    William, your angles would involve much more programming and work than I want to take on right now.
  • Dave Schwartz

Be aware that this will be a PRODUCT - as opposed to something free.
  • William Zayonce

Be aware that this will be a PRODUCT - as opposed to something free.
    5mReplyOptions1
    .Of course! Wouldn't expect you to do all the heavy lifting without compensation! Im certain that it'll be worth the investment.
  • William Zayonce
    Steven.

• William, your angles would involve much more programming and work than I want to take on right now.
      Thanks for your help so far Steven! I understand that it's a large and cumbersome project.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.