• Tony Kofalt
    I'm interested to see how result charts play into your handicapping process, if at all. I use DRF Formulator result charts for the following information.
    • How did starters run in subsequent races.
    • Did the race invert? For example, did all of the speed tire?
    • What kind of Beyers did runners post in subsequent races?
    • Did any of todays rivals run against a horse last time?
    • Review the PP's of the winner in the last race,
    How are you utilizing result charts today? Thanks for the feedback
  • Tom
    I use the BRIS charts, alternative version, that shows the running line version.
    This gives me a quick view of the race in terms of where the horses came from.
    I can draw a mental line seperating front half and rear and see what horses made legit moves.
    I look at the race wiyh my pace figures to who did real running and who got compromised.
    I also like to compare times race to race.
  • RanchWest
    I do look at the "company line" next out winners from the last 10 starts. And, I do look at the prior matchups of today's horses back 10 races. I seldom look at the charts... I haven't found it to be the best use of my time, but your mileage may vary and I could be on the wrong path.
  • Tony Kofalt

Thanks Ranch. You make a good point as we must balance the 'time investment' in the handicapping process. Formulator does offer quick and easy access to result charts and toggles back to the PP's.
  • Tony Kofalt

Thanks Tom, love the idea of mentally scanning the results charts!! Minimizes the time investment while providing an improved explanation of how the race was run! I believe that any information not easily available to the general public improves our edge.
  • Dave Schwartz
    I'm interested to see how result charts play into your handicapping process, if at all. I use DRF Formulator result charts for the following information.
    How did starters run in subsequent races.
    Did the race invert? For example, did all of the speed tire?
    What kind of Beyers did runners post in subsequent races?
    Did any of todays rivals run against a horse last time?
    Review the PP's of the winner in the last race,
    How are you utilizing result charts today? Thanks for the feedback
    Tony Kofalt

Can you possibly show (or describe) how you keep notes for charts?

I'm working on the notes section of the new software and would love to see a few examples of how you do it.
  • Conley
    I use the results charts for a couple of different handicapping reasons

1) To make speed and pace figures using final times of the race and/or points of call
    2) To check for biases during the card of racing to see if any horses were advantaged or disadvantaged
    3) To note any run ups or any temp rails that were up in certain races and track conditions
    4) To check the comments/footnotes to see how the chart caller saw the race vs my point of view
    5) To see if any next out winners were shown

All this creates 3 things for me
    1) Figures for Speed and Pace
    2) Track bias notes
    3) Track profiles

If you can sit down and do this each day your favourite track(s) are on I guarantee you that this can help improve the way you look at handicapping the races and also help avoid the bad biases and angles

Thanks Tony for the great topic starter! Happy Friday!
  • Tony Kofalt

I will reply sometime this weekend. Just a busy couple of days handicapping ahead. Thanks Dave
  • RanchWest
    Thanks Ranch. You make a good point as we must balance the 'time investment' in the handicapping process. Formulator does offer quick and easy access to result charts and toggles back to the PP's.Tony Kofalt

I've never tried Formulator. Seems like a good product.

One thing I learned from Dave was that my process should be my priority and should be concise and organized. That has helped me a lot.
  • Tony Kofalt
    Can't argue that point. Just like most successful businesses.
  • Tony Kofalt
    Dave, I utilize Formulator to accomplish. From within Formulator there is an option to access race charts. Then I can drill down into a specific race chart such as the one found below.

8cvir8186gqiughy.png

The race in question is for 2-18-23, race 6 at Aqu. When you examine the results chart you can see that both the winner and runnerup came from near the rear of the field and the 2 early leaders both faded to finish near the rear. I marked this race as an inverted race, as I believe the winners may have benefitted from the race setup and the early speed types may have been compromised by the setup. To do this, I simply click on the 'Notes' button located on the right side of the line beginning with standard chart. A small window will open allowing me to enter 'Note' for each horse in the race as well as a note for the entire race (which will be added to the PP's of each starter.) I could also choose to enter a note for the entire card which will display in the PP's of each starter.
    The next time each horse runs their PP's will include the notes. I then have the option of printing the notes in future PP's.
    Dave if this doesn't answer your question please let me know.
  • Dave Schwartz
    To do this, I simply click on the 'Notes' button located on the right side of the line beginning with standard chart. A small window will open allowing me to enter 'Note' for each horse in the race as well as a note for the entire race (which will be added to the PP's of each starter.) I could also choose to enter a note for the entire card which will display in the PP's of each starter.Tony Kofalt

Thank you.

Could you take a screen shot of what the notes mechanism actually looks like?

That's my primary area of interest.
  • Tony Kofalt
    Dave,
    Here is a screen shot of the data entry box that opens when you select the 'notes' option on the result charts. Followed is a shot of a PP. Note that one can also enter notes for a specific horse by typing them into for notes box on the top right corner of each PP

2sq11ht6lb5k6s36.png

k99sq5h4yumtxgg9.png
  • Mark
    The free basic DRF account can view the free pp's on the race of the day page. Once the results are in for that race they are featured above the pp's and will remain until the race is removed.
  • Dave Schwartz

That is just what I am looking for.

So, can you hook trainer, jockey and horse notes to a chart as well?

And, if you look at a trainer, can you see notes for trainer+jockey?

Frankly, I'm trying to figure out how to do that. LOL
  • Tony Kofalt

Dave, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but I don't know of a way to assign notes to jockeys or trainers. You can add notes for individual horses, a race (which adds the notes to each horse in the race) or by card which adds the note to every horse on the card.
  • William Zayonce
    @Tony Kofalt
    Just curious,Tony. Can those Formulator PPS be marked up ? ( Highlights, strikeouts, etc?)
  • Dave Schwartz
    Dave, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but I don't know of a way to assign notes to jockeys or trainers. You can add notes for individual horses, a race (which adds the notes to each horse in the race) or by card which adds the note to every horse on the card.Tony Kofalt

So glad to hear that. LOL
    Hope we can have a call soon so I can discuss what I have in mind.

The idea is that notes are almost free form in the sense that there are tagging columns.

Think of them as key words.
    Examples:
    • Horse
    • Jockey
    • Trainer
    • Track
    • Race ID (i.e. Date/Trakc/RaceNum)
    • Date
    • Chart
    • Bias, Pace
    • Bias, Post Pos
    • My Bets

The note system contains a powerful search engine.

Imagine you are looking at a chart the day after the race.
    Horse #1 had trouble.
    You write a note.
    You also can drag-and-drop a link to the video for the race.

You tag the horse & jockey.
    Obviously, the date, track, and race numbers are tagged automatically.

In that same race, the winner won because of the trouble the first horse had.
    So, you tag that horse in the same note.

The note is saved.
    _________
    When horse #1 runs back, all his past notes are listed.
    You see the trouble note.
    When you open that note, you also see the other tags (i.e. jockey, horse, etc.).

You could also find the note in the Jockey's notes.

All tags can be opened at the same time in a Tree-like format.

An example would be this tool that I use to store code from different programs that I've written.
    kd08jkah0xst1awz.jpg

The topics would show in the left pane, with the notes on the right.

Does this pique your interest?

BTW, you COULD maintain statistics in the DOCUMENT (the right hand pane).
    Bets
    Tickets (flagged as won or lost; for tax purposes)
    Big Winners
    Mistakes
  • RanchWest
    Would there be plenty of room for mistakes? lol
  • Dave Schwartz
    Would there be plenty of room for mistakes? lolRanchWest

I sure hope we could find some.

Imagine that you want to track something - what I call FLAG.

You create a tag for a FLAG - giving it a name on the left, and a description on the right.

left pane: Flag Name=Lone ES Races
    right pane: Question= "In a race with just one horse with ES Pts 7+, how often does that horse actually get the lead at the 1st call?"
    right pane: A simple table that allows you to manually enter each such horse in a row with whatever columns you want.
  • Tony Kofalt

Hey William, I will try to check that out. I currently print the PP's and mark up the hard copy. One could save the PP's as a PDF and mark up the PDF. I will check if the Formulater product can be marked up within the constraints of the product.
  • Tony Kofalt
    I want to be clear that I'm not trying sell or convince anyone to use Formulator. The product simply offers some features that 'fit' my way of play. Formulator is simply PP's with some extensions to peripheral information. The product in no ways compares to HSH. But for those of us who enjoy examining PP's its a strong product.
  • Dave Schwartz

Does what I describe hold enough interest for you to consider using the software?
  • Tony Kofalt

It may Dave, I need to re-read your post and digest the info. I will do that soon and get back to you with my thoughts. Thanks for checking
  • Tom

You can choose the filters and what content you want in the PDF, then it saves as a seoeraye file, which can be annotated, but not by Formulator itself.
  • RanchWest
    For anyone interested in chart handicapping, on YouTube there is a video called Handicapping Horses Chart Handicapping by Derbyologist Horse Racing. It is 10:26 long. I think it is worth the view.
  • Conley
    For anyone interested in chart handicapping, on YouTube there is a video called Handicapping Horses Chart Handicapping by Derbyologist Horse Racing. It is 10:26 long. I think it is worth the view.RanchWest
    https://youtu.be/qRD1OOXbwdY

Thanks Ranch! Link is above of the video he was talking about
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube