• Tom
    I sometimes that a break from playing to reset my brain and clear it out.
    I like to go toPA, or Pace and Cap, or Dave's websites and reread old posts. to look at material with newer, more experienced eyes. Sometimes things that didn't hit me then do now.

Yesterday, I founf a Dave thread from 010 about his development of Improve and Decline and it was interesting, so I spent the rest of the day re-listening to the seminar tapes.

Boy, did I miss a ot in 2010!

I was/am very interested in re-testing this material. The Reg Speed Sort idea was a breakthrough tool, imho, but the idea of sheet representations of the speed figures somehow escaped me. I was so intriqed, I was redoing losing races at 3am today.

I f anyone else is using I/D, I would love get some discussions going.

Being my seminar is 12 years old, and we now have Percentages and Probabilities update, a couple of ideas come mind.

1. 30-33 days for a layoff might need to opened up to 45, to cover the sweet spot Dave identified.
    2. With GP now havig a synth track for off turf races, it might be worth looking at hoe grouping synth/turf when the PPs show a good mix.

Any thoughts?
  • Tony Kofalt
    Good post Tom. I just checked my library and Improving and Declining must be the only Dave product I didn't purchase. I try to read everything Dave publishes as there are always hidden gems to be found. I hope this thread stays alive as I'd love to hear more.
  • RanchWest
    I haven't found that thread. Can you direct me to it?
  • RanchWest
    Tom, I also read the boards and I check out a lot of what I find. Some of my best calculations come from messages posted publicly In fact, nearly all of my best numbers came either directly or indirectly from message boards. Of course, I do have a few adaptations and a few that I created on my own and some emulations of other sources..
  • Dave Schwartz
    Wow!

A trip down memory lane.

Form Cycle has its own page in HSH. It's in the Pace Module.

Dick Schmidt used to refer to that page as Those Sheet-Like-Things.

The concept still works much as it did back over a decade ago, but the prices have changed drastically.

Basically, today it points to 2 different kinds of horses:
    • In form at 5/2 or below
    • In form at long odds but severely out-classed.

It is pretty rare to see an out of form horse bet down into the low odds ranges.

Probably the best use is to confirm longshots that you liked a little anyway.
  • RanchWest
    I am only half-way through reading the thread, but already my mind is jumping through hoops thinking about form, class and pace scenarios. lol
  • Tom
    One thing I am seeing so far is a good way to just say a race is not worth the rest of the work and move on.
  • Dave Schwartz
    One thing I am seeing so far is a good way to just say a race is not worth the rest of the work and move on.Tom

How do you arrive at that?

Please tell me it's not about all questionable horses, because those are the BEST races to play.
  • Tom
    Every horse is a D.
  • Dave Schwartz
    Ah.

Prices could be high.

And nobody off a layoff?
  • RanchWest
    I am looking at this, but it may be a while before I have much. With this being Thanksgiving week, I have a busy schedule right now. I have a friend in town from overseas.
  • RanchWest
    One thing I am seeing so far is a good way to just say a race is not worth the rest of the work and move on.Tom

Good point, Tom. I find the grades to be helpful. I am still having to do other handicapping, but it is a great way to evaluate form cycle.
  • RanchWest
    Lots of Cs at FG today, sloppy, yet a pretty formful day. I had all 8 winners in my contenders. Yet nobody hit the P6. Highest win pay on the day was $8.80
  • Tom
    I watched the first few cards and am impressed with the racing.
    Frankly, I am pretty tired of Aqu, so the variety of conditions they card is interesting.
    I am starting a SWIW spreadsheet and think I will give FG a good shot this winter.
  • RanchWest

There was a chaos race at AQU today with a 48/1 winner, coming from next-to-last to win.
  • RanchWest

Racing is good at FG and usually gets even better after Christmas.
  • RanchWest
    Had all 8 winners in my 4 contenders again today at FG. Nobody hit the P5 or P6 (again).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.