• Dave Schwartz
    In the thread below from PaceAdv...

So all of a sudden Serling is a great guy on TV

DylanESP said...
    Of all people, I have to be the one to say this, but since when has Serling EVER been bad on racing telecasts? He's one of the best personalities and handicappers in that business and has been for years.dilanesp

which made me think...

WHAT MAKES A GOOD HANDICAPPING SHOW?

Is it the quality of the picks?

The explanations of why?

Pace analysis?

What are your thoughts?
  • Tom
    It is the "inside" information. Stuff like specific stats for today's race, things like comments from previous races, trouble, biases, etc. I don't care who the picks are.
  • RanchWest
    I agree with Tom. Inside information.

My opinion may not be popular, but Serling can't pick his nose. But he does sometimes offer some interesting information. And, he/s the contrarian that people tune in to hear what he's going to say.
  • Dave Schwartz

Could you explain what you mean by "Inside Information?"

So, what you guys are calling "inside information" - could that be SPECIAL information instead?

When I think of inside info, I think of stuff like "I heard the trainer say that ______," or "The jockey on the favorite is sleeping with the 2nd choice's trainer."
  • William Zayonce
    In defence of Andy Serling, he'll be the first to admit that he'd rather not make selections in every race but is obliged to do so by his job description. He does ,however, sometimes offer interesting insights that players might have overlooked. For my money ,the best shows offer such information in detail for select races and not for a whole card. Many races are best left unplayed.
  • Dave Schwartz
    He does ,however, sometimes offer interesting insights that players might have overlooked.William Zayonce

Can you give me an example of interesting insights?
  • William Zayonce
    Interesting insights might include common races for more than one competitor, troubled trips not mentioned in the trouble line, an alternate view of the likely pace scenario , mentions of jockey /trainer proclivities and/or skills or track bias comments. The list is long!
  • Conley
    An excellent handicapping show to me is:

*The show is reasonable in length and they spend a few even minutes on each race (especially the 2yo's stakes etc) I like to see at least 1 hour plus a few min before 1st post

*You have knowledgeable handicappers on set (either former jockeys/trainers/owners or just handicappers in general) and typically 1 to 3 at best more than 3 makes it really crowded and probably more focused on the "better" handicapper opinion over the others

*You break down each race as much as possible taking notes of each horse with their respective positives (jockey switch cutback distance etc) and negatives (hates sloppy track has a poor record on Turf etc) so the viewer knows what to look out for and what to REALLY look out for in terms of the negatives

*You watch replays of the horses (going back to the negatives) of the ones who had troubled trips and explain why that start means improvement today

*You help the newbies pick out good races to bet their money on and also help them with wagers (advice) or even put up the best chance to bet on

*You give detailed notes on track bias/ j-t-o standings/troubled trip notes or whatever info is good for the public to know about like even how far the rails are out on the turf and if the track has been graded etc

*Finally you have online access to the show via YouTube or Twitter/Facebook once the show is done and have links to your handicapper's important handicapping info if they provided them on the air and put up on the track's website for future use

Basically, I am looking for a Good time that is all lol

If the show has just selections without backup, what value does that give to the public to make betting choices?

I probably missed something up there, but that sums it up well! I hope this helps Dave :)
  • Conley
    Andy Serling is the best handicapper on the NYRA broadcast and Anthony is the best handicapper for media content and promotions in my opinion
  • Tom
    "inside info" is like pointing out that nothing won inside on turf for days, or controlling speed horse didn't break, that's why Old Paint wired the field, or Cox is 0 for 45 last 5 years with MSW to MC on turf at Toga.....
  • Tony Kofalt
    I play NY almost exclusively. I try to catch Talking Horses every day. I feel that the show offers valuable opinions from handicappers that focus on the circuit. While I enjoy all the personalities (Andy, Anthony, Acasio, Maggie and even Greg) I find Andy's analysis most beneficial. He takes a stand and lives or dies by it.
    There is an interesting podcast on youtube hosted by ex jockey Kali Francois. Andy Serling is the guest and Andy fully describes his daily handicapping routine. I felt that Kali overmanaged the conversation a bit but it was still a good watch!!
    If I was going to recommend ideas for a handicapping show I would use Talking Horses to build my foundation.
  • RanchWest

I'd say inside information is info not typically found in 10 race PP's.

Kendrick Carmouche recently changed agents and immediately went on a winning tear.

It could be something odd, such as a horse has been winning since they put a goat in his barn.

Or, the jockey flew in for this one mount.

Or, the jock has not finished in the money since being thrown from his mount 10 days ago.
  • Tom
    Or, the jockey had his head surgically removed from his butt on Monday! :)
  • Dave Schwartz
    I probably missed something up there, but that sums it up well! I hope this helps DaveConley

It does help.
    Thank you.

If I was going to recommend ideas for a handicapping show I would use Talking Horses to build my foundation.Tony Kofalt

Thank you for that!

Or, the jockey had his head surgically removed from his butt on Monday! :)Tom

LOL - Do they still call them "Pinheads?"
  • RanchWest
    I watched a show this morning and it finally struck me... what I should have noted long ago. There's no structure. None. To get anything out of the show, you have to listen carefully to every word. Even then, it is difficult.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment