• Dave Schwartz
    Interesting post on PaceAdvantage today.
    The cutaway - would you want this feature at some US tracks?

Nice graphic at the PA link.

What are your thoughts?
  • RanchWest
    It reminds me of the windmill hole at miniature golf. I find it to be a terrible idea. The boxed in horses are boxed in for a reason.
  • Conley
    It’s like in harness racing when there is a “passing lane” where at the top of the stretch the pylons shift over to the left so there is space on the rail for other horses to “pass” each other.
  • Tony Kofalt
    This may require some thought but at first pass I don't like the idea. I also see some issues with jockey safety as well. I should study up on this as some folks believe it is a good idea. lol
  • Dave Schwartz
    This may require some thought but at first pass I don't like the idea. I also see some issues with jockey safety as well. I should study up on this as some folks believe it is a good idea. lolTony Kofalt

I really look forward to your POV.
    I thought it would IMPROVE safety for the riders because you wouldn't have the guys coming through on the rail.

I actually hope you're right because CHANGE is the ENEMY of UNDERSTANDING.
  • Tony Kofalt
    I've given this some thought and I admittingly don't know the rules regarding this cutaway but I'm not in favor of it.
    Questions on rules:
    1) Are there limits to how many horses and take advantage of the cutaway? Or is it reserved only for the inside horse following the leader.
    2) Are the inside leaders prohibited from dropping into the cutaway even if there are no rivals close behind them. For example the leader has a 3 length lead.

I also see a safety concern running through the turn. Will the cutaway make navigating the turn more dangerous as multiple horses attempt to gain rail position? Horses tend to lean out a bit when they are making the turn which could lead to more crowding.

Just not if favor of it based on the information I have right now
  • William Zayonce
    @Dave Schwartz
    I thought it would IMPROVE safety for the riders because you wouldn't have the guys coming through on the rail
    At first glance,I must agree that the "cutout" would be a positive safety move as it "spreads" the field at the top of the stretch and eliminates any "edge" that diving for the rail might afford once past the cutout . The "straight" line is the same distance to the wire wherever the horse is placed on the track.Thus ,fewer traffic difficulties .
    Since the cutout effectively eliminates any "edge" that a following horse might gain by following "the shortest way home" by riding the rail we'll likely see better stretch running too. Only our handicapping will need some modification.
  • William Zayonce
    @Tony Kofalt
    I also see a safety concern running through the turn. Will the cutaway make navigating the turn more dangerous as multiple horses attempt to gain rail position?
    It seems that the point of the cutout is to eliminate any edge that the rail position might have otherwise held in the run to the wire. Thus.."multiple horses " attempting to gain rail postion wouldn't be an issue.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.