• Tony Kofalt
    Recently read that 41% of Grade 1 stake races in the US this year have been won by one of four trainers, Steve Assmussen, Bob Baffert, Chad Brown or Brad Cox. Is it a good or bad thing that many of the top horses find their way to so few barns?
    Any opinions?
  • Gregory Byrnes
    Case of the rich getting richer. Not really good for racing. It is all about breeding. Spend a lot, get some black type and then pack them off to make money on breeding. A friend of mine once asked me what happens to many all these younger horses after Saratoga? He was into these trainers and their August competition, but noted how many of their horses tended to disappeared after August. They have huge barns but mostly focus on the cream.
  • Gregory Byrnes
    If the horses were spread out to a few more trainers you might see more of them racing longer.
  • Gregory Byrnes
    Case of the rich getting richer. Not really good for racing. It is all about breeding. Spend a lot, get some black type and then pack them off to make money on breeding. A friend of mine once asked me what happens to many all these younger horses after Saratoga? He was into these trainers and their August competition, but noted how many of their horses tended to disappeared after August. They have huge barns but mostly focus on the cream. If the horses were spread out to a few more trainers you might see more of them racing longer.
  • Conley
    They have huge barns but mostly focus on the cream.Gregory Byrnes

That is so true

It is just the top horses they focus on and then those horses disappear because they are probably not making them money as that is why a "super trainer" would want to keep a horse for either money or for publicity so others can focus on their stable horses
  • Tony Kofalt
    I've struggled with this one. I can see why owners flock to the most successful trainers. I totally understand that. Owners are making significant investments in the business and want their best shot at a good return.
    But I do worry that this trend will tend to make the game less competitive. Fewer horses being bred, many being trained by the same big names feels like a recipe to shorter less competitive fields.
  • Dave Schwartz
    They have huge barns but mostly focus on the cream.Gregory Byrnes

I recall someone who worked in [name redacted] barn talking like that about him when it came to 2-year olds. The actual quote was that [name redacted] had a "churn 'em & burn 'em" approach.

He went on to explain in more detail: Let's get the horse on the track and see if he/she is precocious. If the horse gets hurt - oh, well. Wasn't going to amount to anything we can use anyway.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment