• Jim Michalak
    In light of Dave's series on early speed, what are the early speed favoring tracks and surfaces? thanks.
  • Dave Schwartz
    In light of Dave's series on early speed, what are the early speed favoring tracks and surfaces? thanks.Jim Michalak

I know this may sound basic, but... How would you define a speed-favoring track?

Is it based upon total wire-to-wire wins or something else?
  • Jim Michalak
    Horse(s) either on the lead or within 1-2 lengths at the first call that win 30% of the time or more.
  • Dave Schwartz
    30% is a little light.
    The 1st call leader (as I recall) is like 52% in sprint races.
    IOW, that would be NORMAL.
  • Chuck Jones
    The "definition" is a tough one to me. Cheaper tracks (PEN, CT, MNR, etc) seem to have the most powerful early speed numbers. But, we also know that in cheaper races, with cheaper horses, early speed will dominate the most. Soooo, I'm not sure how you dig into all of that, and separate it out, to know the "true speed"
  • Dave Schwartz
    I started to run a query on this question.
    However, my software is designed to easily answer questions about THIS track as opposed to which track(s) are best at something.

Frankly, it is too much work to produce that answer.
  • Jim Michalak
    Dave: track bias, preferably early is what I was looking for. Thanks.
  • Dave Schwartz

Everything we do is one track at a time.
    I can do that one track at a time but cannot give you a sorted list without putting in maybe 4 hours of work.
  • Conley
    Here is the profile I have for Keeneland's 3 days of racing
    I create a short comment with the date for mini track bias
    Then I have a profile of the winners with what posts and running styles are best

10/8/2021: BOTH Dirt Sprints and Routes were favouring "Front Runners"
    10/9/2021: Dirt Routes and Turf Sprints were favouring "Front Runners"
    10/10/2021: BOTH Dirt Sprint and Routes were "Strong Front Runners" Turf Sprints "Front Runners"

Average Lengths Back at 1st and 2nd Calls
    10/8/2021
    1C/2C
    DS: 0.6 and 0.1
    DR: 2.2 and 1.0
    TS: x
    TR: 1.5 and 1.2

10/9/2021
    1C/2C
    DS: 3.4 and 2.0
    DR: 1.9 and 0.7
    TS: 0.0 and 0.0
    TR: 1.4 and 1.2

10/10/2021
    1C/2C
    DS: 2.5 and 0.6
    DR: 0.5 and 0.2
    TS: 0.0 and 0.0
    TR: 1.9 and 1.6

4/15/2021 to 10/10/2021
    Dirt Sprints
    1st Place: Front Runners and middle posts
    2nd Place: Front Runners and middle posts
    3rd Place: Front Runners and either Rail/middle posts
    4th Place: Front Runners and Rail post

Dirt Routes
    1st Place: Front Runners and Rail post
    2nd Place: Front Runners and middle posts
    3rd Place: Front Runners and middle posts
    4th Place: Front Runners and Rail post

Turf Sprints
    1st Place: Front Runners and Rail post
    2nd Place: Stalkers and middle posts
    3rd Place: Stalkers with Rail post
    4th Place: Stalkers with outside posts

Turf Routes
    1st Place: Stalkers with middle posts
    2nd Place: Front Runners with middle posts
    3rd Place: Front Runners and either Rail or middle posts
    4th Place: Stalkers with Rail post

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with what we are talking about but just wanted to show everyone with just a few minutes a day you can figure out track bias!
  • Dave Schwartz

This is excellent work.
    Care to show a screenshot of how you do this work?
    (Dang, I wonder if you can do that here.)
  • Conley

That is why I posted that link to PA when I was doing my Keeneland tipsheet (was wrong about that) because there was no way to attach a PDF but only images

It's nothing special that I do all I do is download past results charts from Equibase then using my own observations for tabbing what horses are what running styles along with 1c/2c beaten lengths plus my mini track bias notes I can complete this in under 1-2 hours tops for 4 days
  • Dave Schwartz
    It's nothing special that I do all I do is download past results charts from Equibase then using my own observations for tabbing what horses are what running styles along with 1c/2c beaten lengths plus my mini track bias notes I can complete this in under 1-2 hours tops for 4 daysConley
    1-2 hrs Per track?
  • Conley

Sorry no 1-2 for 4 days is the best I have time for lol these days
  • William Zayonce
    Jim Michalak
    Dave: track bias, preferably early is what I was looking for. Thanks
    I don't have numbers but observation suggests that the tracks measuring less than 1 mile generally favor speed slightly more than the longer tracks. Notable exceptions would be the Aqueduct inner course and Emerald Downs( probably the fastest and most speed favoring 1 mile track on the continent).
  • William Zayonce
    on't have numbers but observation suggests that the tracks measuring less than 1 mile generally favor speed slightly more than the longer tracks. Notable exceptions would be the Aqueduct inner course and Emerald Downs( probably the fastest and most speed favoring 1 mile track on the continent).
    It appears that I've been out of the loop too long! Didn't know that the inner at Aqueduct had been replaced in 2017.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.