• RanchWest
    What causes you to want to pass a race?
  • Tony Kofalt
    I pass a race when I don't see a reasonable way to make money wagering on the race. Typically this is when my vision of the race is just like the public vision. A race where my choices could win but still not yield a reasonable profit. I should note that I may still include these races on horizontal wagers.
    Another type of race could be when there a too many unknown factors. For example, there may be larger number of FTS. Once again this race could still be included in my horizontal wagers.
  • William Zayonce
    @Tony Kofalt
    Agree Tony! Knowing when to pass is as important as knowing when to play!
  • Conley
    Handicapping Wise
    1) Straight maiden races with 0 starts for all starters (obviously, lol)
    2) Some maiden horses have started, but 2+ horses are FTS
    3) Races where starters have 0 Beyers/BRIS figures but have starts
    4) multiple foreign horses in races (excludes Breeders Cup)
    5) smaller fields= no honest value (in a way for me)

Betting Wise
    1) Races where the favourite will drown the value down of the race (1/9 shot= no value race etc.)
    2) Where my top pick has a lower % chance of winning
    3) Where my exotic horses have a lower % chance of winning/hitting the ticket
  • RanchWest
    4) multiple foreign horses in races (excludes Breeders Cup)Conley

Do you define "foreign'' as having only foreign races showing or would it include any horse with any foreign races showing? For example, if a horse has one North America race showing and the rest are foreign, would you consider it a "foreign" horse?
  • Conley

I would define it as:
    Horses who have only foreign races showing. Like all starts in UK, Ireland, Japan, etc then shipping into todays race. And still if he has 1 NA race and then goes back to his/her homeland I would still consider that horse foreign.
  • RanchWest
    Everyone, do you pass on wet tracks?
  • Dave Schwartz
    I pretty much pass nothing. LOL

I play races differently, but I believe there is always a way to leverage a bet out of a race.

Must admit, that this position is getting tougher to maintain.
  • Tony Kofalt

Ranch, I do not pass on wet tracks. But as someone who plays primarily horizontal wagers, I find more fields scratch down on these surfaces. I have to be careful with the prospect of short fields.
  • William Zayonce
    @RanchWest,
    I rarely pass wet track races simply because of the wet unless they're on wet turf and don't get taken off .
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.