• Pete C
    We know how a horse ranks in factors compared to TODAY'S field, but are there PP's that show how a horse ranked compared to the previous fields it ran against?

We could see how a horse ranked going into races that it ended up performing well in versus races it didn't run well. Maybe that gives a little different angle that might be helpful?
  • Dave Schwartz
    That's a great idea.
    HSH has a little of that, but I want to do more of it.
  • RanchWest
    You could get the wagering evaluation from the odds and also next out winners from the company line, but I assume you are wanting to compare based on your own favorite factors.
  • Tony Kofalt
    That is a great idea Pete C!! I recently saw a set of PP's that did just that for some of the factors. I can't recall where but I will try to remember. Great thought!
  • Pete C
    Thanks for the feedback!!!

Dave-I look forward to seeing what additions come to HSH then! Maybe rankings and strength ratings for some key factors :grin: can help us model each horse instead of modelling the race, in a way that we haven't been able to before.

RanchWest- Use of previous odds is a cool idea and it's great that the info is right there in the traditional PP's! I'm familiar with the concept of expected versus actual performance in sports handicapping so the idea of applying that to horse racing through previous odds is intriguing. I'd like to look into that more because I have never done it systematically.

Tony- If you remember where you saw them, I'd love to take a look. Thanks!
  • Dave Schwartz
    Pete,

They're not coming to HSH. :)
  • Tony Kofalt
    Pete C, I;m pretty sure I heard of this in a podcast or video from EquinEdge. I listen and watch podcasts all the time. I've never tried or used EquinEdge so I can speak of the product but I do recall a user reviewing their form of PP and referring to several of the ratings from prior races. I'm pretty sure this is what you were looking for. If you research their website of blogs you will learn more. One thing I did notice is they seem to have a large group of users.
  • Pete C
    Thanks Tony! I'll look into it...

Thanks Dave, wherever they are, I'll look forward to it :)
  • Deleted User
    Hi Dave, decided to join your Horsestreet blog site and I was just perusing. One of the questions I wanted to ask in terms of the HDW website and it's data is what Past Performance Data do you use. Is it Bris, Equibase, Drf? Also, one of your factors, or can or is this built-in, is horses in cycles tend to show either losing speed on the turn or from 2nd Call to the stretch as negative length loss. I tend to look for horses that have gone 1-2 races whereby this happens particularly if they are chasing and not close to the lead. I have had sucess with these types or will wait to they show improvement in their running.
  • Dave Schwartz
    Hi Dave, decided to join your Horsestreet blog site and I was just perusing. One of the questions I wanted to ask in terms of the HDW website and it's data is what Past Performance Data do you use. Is it Bris, Equibase, Drf? Also, one of your factors, or can or is this built-in, is horses in cycles tend to show either losing speed on the turn or from 2nd Call to the stretch as negative length loss. I tend to look for horses that have gone 1-2 races whereby this happens particularly if they are chasing and not close to the lead. I have had sucess with these types or will wait to they show improvement in their running.Charles Lucas

1. Only HDW data.
    Cost is $142 per month for all tracks with results.

2. Yes, there are several factors that refer to that.
    Things like positions/length lost between calls.

Those are shown in several formats.
    Last race
    Per race in a graph
    Time-decayed
    Averages

Of the 52% of all winners that are within 1 length at the 2nd call, 44% of those were already on the lead at the 1st call.

IOW, the 2nd call challengers only account for 8% of all winners and their prices are low.
    ________
    "Do you know what you call a horse who makes a big move on the turn?"
    The odds-on favorite.

________
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention