• Tony Kofalt
    I read somewhere, possibly PaceAdvantage, that RanchWest is working on a project to present his data output. Ranch could you please tell us a little more about what you are working on? Sounds like you are working on some interesting theories.
  • RanchWest
    The program is called Quick Grid. It is scrolling grid data with a Main Grid and currently 10 Deep Dive grids. Plus some bonuses. It works from BRIS single files, DRF or Multicaps.

I don't want to intrude on Dave's bandwidth here, but if anyone wants to know more, please email me at .

I've also started a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090537234418

I remain friends with Dave and recognize both the quality of his products and his contribution to handicapping.
  • Dave Schwartz
    Obviously, marketing would be over the top, but I really don't have a problem with discussions about @RanchWest's product.
  • RanchWest
    Thanks, Dave. The program has a lot of unique or rare features. For instance, the past performances...

One of the Deep Dives is the Past Performances, a treasure trove of easy-to-read information. Its layout is similar to regular printed PPs, but with far more data and a few little bonuses. Next to "good" races is the word "GOOD".. no analyzing required. In the company line, there's no font manipulation, it actually says "NOW" for next out winners and "TDY" for horses in today's race. Next to comments, there is an asterisk (*) if the comment has word(s) that suggest a troubled trip. Lines that were run outside North America actually have the word "foreign" written out. And, not only are there the times of the leader, but also the times of the horse with each fraction plus the splits for every running line! And, previous trainers have a rating that is consistent with how the current trainer is rated on the Main Grid. And, the official finish position is clearly shown. Just a few of the features!

Another unique offering is the Alternate Running Style. The published running styles are often wrong.

I tried to do what Dave does... I THOUGHT about what should go into a program.
  • Tom
    tHE PUBLISHED RUNNING STYLES ARE OFTEN WRONG.

Truer words were never spoken!
  • RanchWest
    And they’re not just a little off. Often it is E to S or vice-versa. Very misleading. And I know that a lot of people really depend on the running styles.
  • Jack Price
    Question: Do you have performance data that illustrates historical Win%, Impact Values and/or ROI for any of the following features (ranks or otherwise)? If so, can you share this data and the corresponding sample sizes?

Quick Grid Odds Line
    BPPELO
    Carroll
    CSR
    VDC
    S-Factor
    Easy Form
    FG
    I O
    Scott
  • RanchWest
    Jack, no, my health has been such that I have not been up to maintaining results or databases for quite some time. I have had portions of this program going for over 25 years, so I do have some insight as to which factors are best.

All I can tell you is my opinion on which are best.

The odds line favorite wins a lot, but usually at low prices. On chalky days, it will usually have about 50%..
    The BPPELO has a high share of winners among those ranked in the top 5.
    S-Factor has been very impressive, but a little chalky. It does get some horses in the 3/1 - 5/1 range and a very few higher.

The others catch a lot of winners, but the three listed above impress me the most.

If you track all of the different Scott form factors, you can find some valuable information, both positive and negative. Especially negative. Many years ago I tracked 133 different combinations. Some were pretty dreadful. For instance, N0-sg was 3 of 83, 3.6% with an avg mutuel of $7.47.

These are all from the Odds, Speed and Form sections. I'd say the best prices come from Pace and Class.
  • RanchWest
    i do want to point out that I do not in any way promote Quick Grid as being a selection program.

Quick Grid is a tool to assist in making selection decisions.
  • Jack Price
    Sorry to learn you're in poor health.... Please take care!

All the best,
    Jack
  • RanchWest
    Thanks, Jack. I am doing much better now. Still not perfect, but much better.

I had a constricted esophagus for years and lost from 179 to 120 pounds. Then I had undetected heart problems. Had quadruple bypass surgery last September.

I wish it could be different, but users will have to do their own program performance research. In the meantime, I make no wild claims. I just put some good factors out there to try .
  • Tom
    It is the perfect tool for a casual player or weekend player for sure.
    Good job, Ranch.
  • RanchWest

Thanks, Tom.

While the program doesn't have some of the sophisticated tools that a program like HSH has, I think it does have fast ways of digging out important nuggets. And, I am working on more of those. It's got a lot of little things, like a grid with the silks and color of the horse to make it easier to watch a race.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.