• Dave Schwartz
    Had a conversation this morning with a friend that went something like this.

Last weekend I was playing a course I've never played before. The course is tougher than my home course, with lots of sand and water, and difficult greens. Frankly, I didn't expect to play as well as usual.

Despite the greater difficulty, I shot one of my best scores in years!

The reason is that the other 3 players were better than me.
    Well, actually, more than that.
    They played a DIFFERENT GAME than me.

First, they were very strategic.
    I always thought that I played with strategy - sort of goal oriented - like deciding if I was playing a hole aggressively or not.

But this was different.
    They seemed to take risks only when the time was right.
    Even when the shots didn't turn out so well, it was obvious that there would have been real gain if the shot had worked.

After a particular shot that went awry, I asked why he had tried that shot but declined a similar shot on the previous hole. His answer surprised me.

He said, "If I had made that shot, it would have given me a good chance at a short putt for birdie. The previous shot would have given me better position on the fairway, but was still not enough to expect a birdie."

So simple. Why had I not thought of this before?

RISK DOES NOT EXIST IN A VACUUM!
    These guys play very strategically, linking payoff to situation.
    They are willing to take risks, but they weren't blind risks. There had to be a real payoff beyond "that was a good shot."

Watching them take more risks with shots, and be very strategic about those risks, made me do the same with my strokes. They even coached me a little - when I asked.

The people you play with in golf, business, and horse racing will either lead you to step up your game or let you coast at your comfort level.
    If you are struggling to level up your results, look at who you hang out with.Dave Schwartz

So right, Dave! I know I have learned far more from personal relationships than I have from any books.
  • Tony Kofalt
    Great story Dave and how applicable to what we do.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.