• RanchWest
    Dave, we talked before about measuring class. I heard about yet another measure today... next out winners faced. It suggests that runners in a race included quality runners.
  • Dave Schwartz
    What are NEXT OUT WINNERS?
  • RanchWest
    PP's show which of the top 3 finishers went on to win their next race. I count all the instances of these next out winners. If I recall right, I think the next out winners are italicized in the PP's.

Next out winners are also coming out of what is called a key race if more than one horse has won its next race. I don't have a way of finding any horses except the top 3 finishers. A key race is considered to be a likely source for even more winners.
  • Dave Schwartz
    I like that!

Not easily available.
  • Steven
    PP's show which of the top 3 finishers went on to win their next race. I count all the instances of these next out winners. If I recall right, I think the next out winners are italicized in the PP's.

I may be getting this ass-backwards. Are you saying that last race finishers who finished in the money (1,2 or 3) are "better" contenders in todays race than horses that finished 4th or worst in the last race?
  • Tony Kofalt
    I believe Ranch is saying that a race from which competitors came back to win their next is likely a stronger race than one where no competitors won their next start. Some refer to this as a key race.
  • RanchWest
    Yes, thanks, Tony. I probably did not explain it very well.
  • RanchWest
    Not easily available.Dave Schwartz

This is known as Company Line data. I know it is included in the Multicaps files, but it is not documented... one of those mysterious "reserved for future use" elements. It's the 10 data elements starting at 1,192 in the Multicaps files and I assume in all of the BRIS single file format files. Sorry, I doubt that helps on other data files, but I suspect it is there in most data files. Just probably not documented.
  • Dave Schwartz

We actually had it in our DOS product, the Handicapper's Notebook. (HNB)
  • RanchWest
    We actually had it in our DOS product, the Handicapper's Notebook. (HNB)Dave Schwartz

Interesting
  • Steven
    Like I said, I had it Ass-Backwards. Not an unusal position in my handicapping world.

For instance, I never have the right amount of money bet on a horse. If he loses, then I had too much money on him and if he wins, I didn't have enough money on him.
  • RanchWest
    Like I said, I had it Ass-Backwards.Steven

We just needed Tony to explain it better than I did. :)

I just explained it Bass Ackwards.
  • Steven
    Nahh. I think you did fine Ranch!
  • Tom
    When I was using HTR and had a large database of races, I wrote a report that let me look any race anywhere and how every horse came out of it, where they ran what class, surface, etc, and what speed fig they earned. It was a very useful tool, especially for shippers from tracks I knew little about.
  • RanchWest
    I wrote a reportTom

Data is powerful.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.