• RanchWest
    In the past I have used spot plays, physicality and claims with at least some success. Now, I am using Sartin methodology. What do you use? Do you use a computer? Or are you like one guy I knew... a Big Chief Tablet handicapper? Do you have confidence in what you are doing?
  • Dave Schwartz
    Or are you like one guy I knew... a Big Chief Tablet handicapper? Do you have confidence in what you are doing?RanchWest

What the heck is Big Chief Tablet?

Is it this?
    https://www.amazon.com/Original-Big-Chief-Writing-Primary/dp/B0094ILCJC
  • RanchWest
    Yep, paper.
  • Dave Schwartz
    [Moved this thread to Handicapping.]
  • William Zayonce
    @RanchWest
    In the past I have used spot plays, physicality and claims with at least some success. Now, I am using Sartin methodology. What do you use? Do you use a computer? Or are you like one guy I knew... a Big Chief Tablet handicapper? Do you have confidence in what you are doing?
    Yes! I'm that guy! Pen, paper ,cerebral energy and a handful of spot plays.
    I'm also a diehard contrarian.
  • RanchWest
    I'm also a diehard contrarian.William Zayonce

Is there anything in particular that tends to fuel your contrarian fire?
  • RanchWest
    I like longshot closers in a chaos race for my contrarian urges.
  • Dave Schwartz
    I like longshot closers in a chaos race for my contrarian urges.RanchWest

How do you determine that a race is chaotic?
  • William Zayonce
    @RanchWest
    Is there anything in particular that tends to fuel your contrarian fire
    Yes! I lean to "obvious" overlays that often lie "outside the numbers". It comes from my old school handicapping education combined with keen observation.
  • RanchWest
    How do you determine that a race is chaotic?Dave Schwartz

I measure the early energy and when there are a lot of horses that have similar early energy, the race frequently falls apart. I split the horses into running style categories and when there are horses in only two categories, that's when I look for chaos. There tends to be a lot of horses that vie for the lead and can't hold it.
  • Tony Kofalt

I have used a computer in varying degrees to aid my handicapping. In the mid 1980's I used the PC to download handicapping aides along with the printed DRF. In the early 1990's I still used a racing form or racing times but also handicapped every race with ThoroBrainX. After ThoroBrainX left the market When HSH became available I used it in conjunction with the printed form. I found myself relying more on my analysis from the printed form.
    When I started betting to make a living I became wary of making changes as there is a fine line between winning and losing. My primary tool remains the DRF (formulator) which allows me to print a customized form, watch replays, maintain trip notes and quickly review result charts. When Dave introduces a new AI product I believe I will become much more PC dependant
  • Conley
    I started out buying literally every single system/method that I can lay my hands on and after I spent around $300-$500 total for all the systems I have (which a lot of them are nowhere to be found or still kept the "decent ones") I decided to create my own handicapping system just 1-2 years ago and to this day that is all I use

I use the DRF Classic/Formulator pp's along with a Bic Round Stic pen and calculator (Canon)

Usually takes me 1-130 minutes to handicap a racing card but I love every moment of it win or lose!
  • Dave Schwartz
    When I started betting to make a living I became wary of making changes as there is a fine line between winning and losing.Tony Kofalt

:up: :up: :up:

OH, SING IT BROTHER K!!!

Winning can be so very fragile.
  • RanchWest
    When I started betting to make a living I became wary of making changes as there is a fine line between winning and losing.Tony Kofalt

I definitely agree with that!
  • RanchWest
    I wrote my first handicapping program around 1983, written in BASIC on a TI-99/4A computer, which was fairly powerful for a home computer of the era. Manual input from the DRF. I was just trying to see what I could do with fractional times. I didn't really understand a lot about what I was doing with the output calculations. Now I realize I had calculated what we today call f1, f2 and f3 and I did a few rudimentary factors off of those.

Today, my program is written in Harbour, a language which evolved from dBase and Clipper. My source data is Multicaps files. My output is to HTML, so I can read the files on almost any modern device, including my phone if need be. I've got output for all sorts of things, even silks (to make it easier to watch races). Most of the emphasis is on Sartin methodology, which, in large part, is based around what can be done with those fractional times I was working with in 1983. Needless to say, my program of today is far more advanced. I am still implementing new concepts that I learn or develop.
  • Tony Kofalt

Hi Ranch, I believe there is a website, paceandcap.com where the Sartin methodology is discussed. You may find it useful
  • RanchWest
    Hi Ranch, I believe there is a website, paceandcap.com where the Sartin methodology is discussed. You may find it usefulTony Kofalt

Thanks. I participate there. It's a very good site for Sartin methodology. It does focus primarily on one software product, though. But the host has been very welcoming to me. I have been posting selections there pretty much every day.
  • Tony Kofalt

I don't believe I've ever been at the site. Would you consider posting a few selections here to help me understand your methodology? If not, I certainly understand that. Thanks
  • Conley
    I don't believe I've ever been at the site.Tony Kofalt

Pace And Cap is home to the Sartin methodology and the RDSS software but in 2019 I was honored to be one of the founding persons to create the "Sports Forum" alongside Bill V (who has passed away) and Ted Craven

I currently run the NFL Contest where each week each player picks 1 team ATS (Against The Spread) and we play until the Super Bowl with the winner receiving a cash prize!

I hope one day more and more people can join the other side too there is just a lot of controversy about there being a Sports Forum in the first place
  • RanchWest
    Would you consider posting a few selections here to help me understand your methodology?Tony Kofalt

Well, it may be a crazy day at FG, but here are my picks today. I will try to post a recap later.

R1) 5 3 4 1E
    R2) 4 6 1 8
    R3) 5 1 9 4
    R4) 10 3 11 9
    R5) 1E 4 6 8
    R6 ) 2 4 6 7
    R7) 5 2 3 1
    r8) 4 6 5 1
    r9) 2 8 6 7

I don't know that I would necessarily be representative of Sartin Methodology, but those are my picks anyway.
  • RanchWest
    Recap of Top 4:

1: 3.60 6.60 12.40
    2: 13.00 3.20
    3:
    4: 8.00 14.80
    Out: 4.40 9.60
    Ex: 27.30 31.90 29.60 24.50 40.50 5.00
    Tri: 4.35
    Super: 1.30
    Double: 9.50 9.90 30.40 52.20 82.00 11.40
    P3: 15.65 30.65 125.30 226.35 68.05
    P4: 269.50 536.20
    P5: 1,121.80

I didn't get the last two races right.
  • RanchWest
    Tony, did that answer your question? These were my contenders and how they performed.
  • Tony Kofalt

Yes I believe it did. I'm still reviewing the PPs but thank you
  • RanchWest
    Sure, Tony. If it leads to any questions, let me know.
  • Tom
    RW,
    I am a long time Sartin follower, but older Satin, not the newer stuff. Phase III and TPR.
    Lately, I have really digging into Dave's products and just bought Improve/Decline.
    I use BRIS and have been trying to come with things in their Ultimate PPs to use.
    I have come up with a paper and pencil method that is quick (longest thing about it is crossing out the scratches. I will post here this week. Just finishing up the instructions. I have been playing it for about 2 months with good results, using it as a tool.
  • Dave Schwartz

Gee, aren't you the greatest poster in the history of PaceAdv?

LOL

Welcome over here, old friend.
  • RanchWest
    I am a long time Sartin follower, but older Satin, not the newer stuff.Tom

I am mostly on the older stuff, too. But I mix in some things from some of the better authors and a few ideas that are not really Sartin from the RDSS people. I throw in a few things I have developed from time to time.
  • Tom
    I spend a lot time there, reading old threads. Lots of ideas to had.
  • RanchWest
    I spend a lot time there, reading old threads. Lots of ideas to had.Tom

Yeah, it seems like one should slow down on learning after a while, but I just keep learning and learning.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.