• Steven
    Well I don't have any great handicapping insights but I do have an interesting first bet story.

It was in the early 80's and I went to the track for the very first time with my (now late) mother and my two sisters. I had gotten interested enough beforehand that I had done some homework and had learned to at least read a racing form and do research on "systems" and somehow I had ended up with a system called "Super Horse". I believe it still gets some mention around the 'boards every now and then.

So opening day at Keeneland, first race, getting ready to make my first win bet ever and then my sister tells me about this thing called an "exacta" where you bet two horses to win and place. Sure, I'm up for that. Well lo and behold! Not only do I win my first bet ever, the horse pays $15+ and the "exacta thing" pays more than $100! I'm hooked and I actually spent the time between race 1 and race 2 outlining my letter of resignation so I could play the horse full time and get rich! This was easy, $15 horses and $100 exactas just fall out of the trees!

Well, you can guess the rest. I did not even win another bet the rest of the day so I'm glad that I did not complete my letter of resignation and quit my job. 30 some odd years later I actually retired from that same place.

I've now been to Keeneland innumerable times and once in a blue moon, I hit a double digit horse but you know, like so many others, it's just a recreational thing now and those hopes of turning pro faded years and years ago.
  • Conley
    $17.00 $25.20 have been the only "big prices" for me at Keeneland this year but today I hit a $14.80 horse on top

Usually, the bigger paying horses are in my top 3 or 4 more than on top lol

Cool story about you and how you were involved with horse racing!

Welcome to the forum Steven :)
  • Tony Kofalt

Love that story- thanks Steven
  • Dave Schwartz

Love to hear stories about "First time at the track."

Over the years I've always asked guys the same question after hearing their "First Successful Day Story:"
    Do you find that your handicapping is biased towards your remembrance of what caused you to win on that day?"

In all the years of asking this question, only a handful have said that they didn't still expect the winners to come from similar handicapping. (i.e. early speed, top jockeys, long prices, whatever.)

How about you?
  • Steven
    Guilty as charged! At least to the point of not betting anything lower than 3-1.
  • William Zayonce
    Yes! My first winner came about by the most rudimentary "handicapping". I had only a track program and hadn't heard of Daily Racing Form but it seemed to me that betting on a horse to do something that it had done before ( win a race at the distance) might be prudent. The race was 1 1/16 for mid-level claimers on dirt at our local bull ring . "Picture Frame" had won at 1m twice .
    He closed at 9/1, broke on top and lead all the way! I still insist on some previous success
  • RanchWest
    My first time at the track was nearly 50 years ago. I feel quite fortunate that my clueless ways back then are not in my memory today.

I do remember a time when my girlfriend at the time asked why I bet a horse. I said because Estaban Medina was the jockey. Next race, we headed to the windows separately and on return she asked which horse I bet. She got upset because Medina was not on that horse. I told her of course not... he won last race. She was not amused. lol
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.