• Biniak
    Tony,

Since you have and are comfortable with Excel that's what I would use for you.

Also, I second Ranch's recommendation on SDiU. The movie will increase your faith! It starts slow but really builds to a fantastic finish.
  • Dave Schwartz
    Also, I second Ranch's recommendation on SDiU. The movie will increase your faith! It starts slow but really builds to a fantastic finish.Biniak

And it really is a great handicapping approach.
    Just sayin'. LOL
  • Biniak
    Not sure I follow "And it really is a great handicapping approach" unless you mean S.F.T. but I am halfway through "How to Measure Anything" and I am still learning stuff. It's deep thinking?
  • RanchWest
    I think I am already thinking about as deeply about horse racing as I can handle. :) But I keep digging and usually moving forward.
  • Dave Schwartz
    Not sure I follow "And it really is a great handicapping approach" unless you mean S.F.T. but I am halfway through "How to Measure Anything" and I am still learning stuff. It's deep thinking?Biniak

I started to say, "Go buy the product" but then remembered that it isn't available any more.

Dang.

The story was that I was struggling to win. I was still winning (as I recall_) but this long-time client and professional player) calls me and says, "I see how hard it is for you and I want to help."

We did 7 sessions over (I think) 6 weeks or so and it was eye opening.
  • Tony Kofalt
    Movie was very enjoyable!!! thanks all for the recommendation. Loved it.
  • Tom
    My favorite Dave products, his pars and Figuring Out What Wins.
    Been using his pars since Tom Brohamer recommended them at a Sartin seminar in Baltimore.
  • Ray Wallin
    For me it was P&P that blew my mind... but I use the pars almost daily.

I am hoping that soon I will be saying it is HSH as I learn to use the product!

@Biniak I read "How to Measure Anything" a few years back it is amazing what I have been able to do at work with it in terms of creating and developing KPIs and other metrics... and it has been helpful with the ponies too!
  • Biniak
    Ray,

How have you applied "HTMA" for the horses?
  • Ray Wallin

I used the logic (even before I had read the book) to break down certain aspects of handicapping a race, but will admit the book made me think about it more and even more finite aspects.

An example of how I did this was in how I assess favorites. I wanted to come up with a strategy of when to back or go against a favorite, which I termed strong and false favorites. I broke down the aspects of a horse I was using to gauge this assessment on... recency, win percentage, class, experience at or within 1/2 a furlong of the distance to see how each of these factors related to each favorite in my homemade-manually entered excel database.

"But wait, there's more!"

While I found modest success with strong/false (and further breaking false into false with no qualifiers, false with a qualifier - a qualifier being a horse in the field that met the metrics of a strong favorite, but wasn't the favorite). I wanted to make the criteria better... so I started to look at other aspects of the field, not just the favorite and developed a favorite likelihood factor (FLF). I ran other metrics of the field against my favorites (type of race, field size, jock, etc. - 7 in total). I found a fairly linear relation between win percentage and FLF in all categories - strong, false no qual, false with qual.

I again tweaked the process and established two other levels of "super favorites" using the same drill down and adding other factors.

Sadly, the file I had used to develop the impact values of all of those factors was on the hard drive of a laptop that died (I have since learned my lesson on backing up information), but assessing the favorite and FLF is the first thing on my "handicapping checklist".

I have used HTMA as well to break down other angles/approaches I have used, which really isn't too different that how HSH builds objects out of factors.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.