• Conley
    Does anybody have any tips on how to start off right in the stock markets?

I have always wanted to purchase stocks and/or bonds but I am not 100% sure how to do that

If I did have all the money in the world I would invest in Tesla along with Google (Alphabet Inc) and some other smaller companies under $1k per share

Thanks to all who reply I hope to learn something new
  • Dave Schwartz

RIght now I am fully focused on cryptocurrencies.

Every day contains an hour of study.
  • Jim Pommier
    Purchase stocks with high/good dividends. You can Google to get the list(s). Then reinvest the dividends, don't spend them. Then hold, don't sell. It's very difficult to time the market. I have a small investment in crypto. Again, I buy, and then hold. I'm just not interested in all of the buying and selling-- daily, weekly or monthly. I prefer to buy what my research says are solid stocks or crypto, and then simply hold. Re-check after a year or so. Crypto is so volatile, plus the government(s) are starting to get involved. No one seems to know what will happen when the different country's governments come on the scene.
  • Conley

Ok I will try this out thanks for the reply!
  • Conley

Ok Dave thanks for the reply!
  • Lawrence
    To bump a 7 month-old thread while I'm on a posting roll...

If you've got a long runway until you need to withdraw from your account, I suggest a passive investing approach that uses very low-fee index ETFs. I'm in Canada and VFV is an Canadian $ ETF that tracks the S&P 500 for a 0.09% fee or so. Not glamorous but it will get the job done nicely over many years...if you can ride out the day-to-day volatility and resist selling when the markets dips.

Reading The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle - the founder of Vanguard - changed my investing outlook completely. I got out of my high-fee mutual funds so more money stays in my account each year to compound. I can't recommend Bogle's book - or other books like it on index fund investing - highly enough.

This "Couch Potato" approach isn't a great conversation topic at dinner parties in the same way crypto can be, but it's proven its value over time.
  • Biniak
    I agree 100%, slow and steady wins the race (investing and marathon mantra). I love VG and Dimensional funds for their passive approach. It also keeps the gov't hands off your returns.
  • HorseSense

.09? here in US , we have a family of funds called Vanguard......most are .03 in my TD Ameritrade Account...

A good diversified approach is .....

There are 11 sectors in US markets.....Pick one or 2 of the top stocks in each.....

This way when one sector goes down , others will carry it....
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Please register to see more

Forum Members always see the latest updates and news first. Sign up today.